Tips for driving in a different country for the first time
Driving abroad secures many benefits and adds flexibility and independence to your holiday, however for those driving abroad for the first time the experience can be rather nerve racking. Whether you’re driving abroad for the first time or you’re experienced driving around the world, the below tips may come in handy for your next holiday.
Tips for Driving Abroad:
- Take your driving licence and all relevant documentation with you in the vehicle
- Clue up on the countries driving laws and find out what side of the road they drive on (across continental Europe they drive on the right side of the road)
- Some countries require an international driving permit – find out if your destination requires one
- Stick to the rules of the road and speed limits
- It is illegal to have satnav devices which alert you of speed cameras in some European countries such as France and Spain
- Plan your journey before setting off and if you can take a satnav to help you navigate (make sure you have the right map)
- Drive carefully as the driving style may be different to what you are used to
- Many countries in Europe require you to carry a reflective jacket and a warning triangle in case you have an accident or breakdown
- Take regular breaks and don’t drive if you’re tired
- Don’t drink and drive! The legal blood-alcohol limit may be lower than what you are used to in the UK
- If you are involved in an accident, contact your insurer immediately and take photographic evidence of damage to your vehicle. If another vehicle is involved always ensure you exchange details with the driver.
- When renting a hire car abroad take out car rental excess insurance to protect you from costly excess fees
Thinking of hiring a car on your next holiday? With a Questor Insurance car hire excess insurance we will cover your rental excess should the worst happen, so you can relax and enjoy your holiday. For more information click here or contact us on 0333 323 0090.
Date Created: 23/03/2016
Return to Blogs