If you’re all set to hire a car when you arrive at your holiday destination this year, make sure you carry out these checks before driving away.
Not only will mean you can relax and enjoy your holiday, but you’ll be well placed to tackle any issues if something does go wrong.
1. Once you’ve passed your details over to the car hire desk and been handed the keys, it’s essential that you check the vehicle over thoroughly and note any pre-existing damage or marks.
You should also check the small print in your car hire contract to ensure you’re aware of any extras that might be included, and of the rental company’s fuel policy.
2. Take as many photos as possible as these can help should you be involved in a claim. Even if you think marks are relatively minor, it’s still important to write down that they exist. Some hire firms also have inspection forms that you should complete – don’t leave any information off as this is your means of logging any damage.
3. Look for bumps and scratches, any marks you don’t think should be there and include pictures if you do find anything. Ensure that these are mentioned in the condition report so that you cannot be held accountable for any pre-existing damage.
4. As well as checking the bodywork of the vehicle, you should also check the windscreen and windows for any chips.
5. The tyres are often forgotten too, and you should ensure that the tread is considered road legal on all tyres – including the spare if the car has one.
6. You should also look at the locks on the hire car to see if they are all in full working order – this is especially true if the vehicle uses keyless technology.
7. You’ll also want to ensure that you have adequate insurance cover for your trip – while this is often included in the price of car hire, it is not always fully comprehensive. One option is to opt for car hire excess insurance which covers the excess payment that would be required should your hire car be damaged or stolen. The additional cover can provide peace of mind and may cost less than you think. Get a quote today to see how little car hire excess insurance might cost.
Date Created: 10/09/2018